Los Angeles is the Southern California city whose wartime blackout, searchlight sweep, and anti-aircraft barrage on February 25, 1942, became known as the Battle of Los Angeles or the Great Los Angeles Air Raid.12 The location is confirmed because the blackout, firing, shell-fragment damage, official statements, and contemporary press coverage are well documented; the identity of the reported aerial targets remains historically disputed and is not evidence of extraterrestrial craft.34
See the Battle of Los Angeles event file for the incident chronology.
City and Defense Setting
The City of Los Angeles traces its civic origin to September 4, 1781, when 44 settlers founded El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula in an area historically associated with Chumash and Tongva peoples.5 By modern census geography, Los Angeles covers 469.49 square miles and had a 2020 population of 3,898,747, making the city a vast urban target rather than a single point site.6
That scale mattered in early 1942. The official Army Air Forces history describes the Pacific Coast after Pearl Harbor as a high-anxiety defense zone, with major aircraft plants such as Douglas and Lockheed in the Los Angeles area and only limited modern fighter strength available along the coast.1 Local air defense combined radar, civilian observers, anti-aircraft artillery, searchlights, barrage balloons, and blackout procedures that were still being improvised under wartime pressure.17
The immediate trigger environment included the Japanese submarine I-17 shelling of the Ellwood oil field near Santa Barbara on February 23, 1942.8 California State Military Museum material describes that shelling as minor in physical damage but major in psychological effect, creating invasion fears along the West Coast only hours before the Los Angeles alerts began.8
February 25 Air-Defense Incident
The official Army Air Forces account says unidentified objects caused a succession of Southern California alerts during the night of February 24-25, beginning with a naval-intelligence warning that an attack might come within ten hours.1 Early on February 25, radar picked up an unidentified target about 120 miles west of Los Angeles, anti-aircraft batteries were alerted around 2:15 a.m., and the regional controller ordered a blackout after radar tracked the target toward the coast.1
Contemporary Associated Press coverage preserved by the Library of Congress reported the Western Defense Command statement that cities in the Los Angeles area were blacked out at 2:25 a.m. after unidentified aircraft were reported, that no bombs were dropped, that no planes were shot down, and that the all-clear came at 7:21 a.m.3 The Army Air Forces combat chronology separately summarized the event as reports of unidentified airplanes approaching Los Angeles from the ocean, followed by about 1,400 rounds of 3-inch anti-aircraft ammunition fired at various targets.2
The firing began after a balloon carrying a red flare was seen over Santa Monica at 3:06 a.m., according to the official Army Air Forces narrative.1 Once the guns opened, searchlights, drifting smoke, shell bursts, and contradictory observer reports generated claims of swarms, single objects, balloons, airplanes, and aircraft at widely varying altitudes and speeds.13
By daylight, no enemy aircraft wreckage, bomb damage, or confirmed hostile force had been found.13 The Los Angeles Times archive notes that roughly 1,400 anti-aircraft shells were fired, that five deaths were indirectly connected to the blackout and panic, and that shell fragments caused property damage across the area.9
Official Disagreement
The incident quickly became a public credibility problem because the Navy and Army did not give the same explanation.14 Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox called the episode a false alarm, while Army officials later said local commanders believed one to five unidentified airplanes may have been over Los Angeles.14
The official Army Air Forces history records that the Fourth Air Force initially indicated there were no planes over Los Angeles, while the Western Defense Command expected that many early reports would prove exaggerated.1 It also says the Army kept its pursuit planes on the ground because commanders wanted clearer evidence of the scale and direction of any attack before committing limited fighter aircraft.1
Postwar and near-postwar accounts moved the explanation toward misidentification. The Army Air Forces history judged that meteorological balloons known to have been released over Los Angeles may have caused the initial alarm, then shell bursts caught in searchlights made observation harder.1 A 1949 Antiaircraft Journal account by Col. John G. Murphy said an investigating board interviewed about 60 witnesses, roughly half of whom believed they saw planes and half of whom saw none; Murphy attributed the start of the firing to a meteorological balloon sent up around 1:00 a.m.7
The Smithsonian summary follows the same broad reading: no enemy aircraft were hit because no enemy aircraft were present, the likeliest radar explanation was a stray weather balloon, and the false alarm still felt real to residents and military personnel living just after Pearl Harbor and Ellwood.4 The official history also notes that, after the war, Japanese sources said they had not sent planes over Los Angeles during the alert.1
UFO Lore and the Photograph
Los Angeles entered UFO lore largely through the dramatic searchlight photograph published by the Los Angeles Times on February 26, 1942.910 The image later became a favorite artifact for claims that searchlights had converged on a saucer-like object, even though the newspaper's own archival review found that the published version had been heavily retouched for reproduction.10
The Times archive reported that the unretouched negative was soft and underexposed, while the retouched print widened and brightened beams and changed light spots around the searchlight convergence.9 A 2011 Times archive-blog review was blunter, explaining that the part of the image later identified by UFO advocates as an alien spacecraft was shaped by paint added to the print.10
That image history is why Los Angeles is a disclosure-relevant location but not a confirmed anomalous craft location. The documented event is a wartime air-defense failure under stress, followed by official disagreement, press spectacle, later archival photo scrutiny, and eventual absorption into UFO culture.14910